Sign in to follow this  
Lazabeam 2

Parachute change

Name: Parachute rework

Type: Addon Edit

Reason: The current Parachute has a particular design flaw, where as illustrated in the video, it won't always work regardless of how many times you press the activate key (space bar).
I believe it's designed as if you are over X height to the ground, it can activate, but if under, it won't activate. meaning for cliffs which aren't completely perpendicular, the parachute won't activate, making you take heavy fall damage, the same goes for other places in map, Airfield has a multiple spots where jumping off means you take up to 40 damage (again, shown in attached video). assuming this is possible, the height of activation should be reduced, to improve the usability of the parachute and reducing fall damage effects on those with the parachutes, as it is the main use of a parachute.

My idea makes sense from a realism and a developer perspective, having the benefits of a parachute only working some of the time ruins the use of it

Evidence as attached below in video format:

You realise that parachutes are for jumping out of planes, not off 2 story buildings? 

The way your using the parachute is not how it is intended in an RP sense. The class that gets the parachutes, the paratroopers, use parachutes out of airplanes.

"Paratroopers jump out of airplanes and use parachutes to land safely on the ground."

20 minutes ago, Lazabeam 2 said:

My idea makes sense from a realism and a developer perspective

It doesn't because parachutes aren't meant to be deployed 15m off the ground, they are designed to be used out of aircraft. 

12 minutes ago, Bob Jane said:

You realise that parachutes are for jumping out of planes, not off 2 story buildings? 

The way your using the parachute is not how it is intended in an RP sense. The class that gets the parachutes, the paratroopers, use parachutes out of airplanes.

"Paratroopers jump out of airplanes and use parachutes to land safely on the ground."

It doesn't because parachutes aren't meant to be deployed 15m off the ground, they are designed to be used out of aircraft. 

True, but its use in CG is both, you see many jump off buildings and etc, why not cliffs? why only some buildings?

13 hours ago, Lazabeam 2 said:

True, but its use in CG is both, you see many jump off buildings and etc, why not cliffs? why only some buildings?

It’s like you said, how high off the ground you are. Both of the videos you showed, you failed to get enough height, you a) hit the lower roof and b) hit the side of the cliff. 

Besides, like a lot of things, parachutes our stress on the server. If they were toggled on more often, that’s just more stress to the server. 

I just don’t see a reason to make parachutes more deployable if they are meant to be used out of helicopters. Anything else are bonuses. 

• Agree 1

15 hours ago, Lazabeam 2 said:

why not cliffs?

if u can find good angle u can deploy the parachute

@Lazabeam 2 You can easily go off FOB and airfield if you get the right angle.

"According to the United States Parachute Association (USPA)... The absolute minimum consider safe to bail out of an aircraft using your reserve parachute on a sport parachute system is 1000ft., this would only be done during an aircraft emergency such as loss of power."

"A sport parachute takes time to open, 400-800ft... Military personnel can typically deploy at or around 400ft using a large-round parachute.  The lower you deploy, the less time you have to deal with unexpected issues such as line twist."

Operation Market Garden - Wikipedia

to jump off a cliff using the parachutes you must have a clear ground below the edge of the cliff or the parachute will not activate, it just something you need to get used to. They work great for buildings that are at a certain height and helicopters

Well, actually it has less to do with height and more with player vector velocity.

you could deploy the zparachute 1cm off the ground if you were going fast enough

• Agree 1

My advice is go play warzone they have those kinda parachute mechanics.

• Agree 1

If the hill has a gradient you cannot deploy the parachute. There is a really nice spot on the FOB where you can jump off and end up on the Airfield tarmac. The parachute is fine, it is a great asset to have and it's already unrealistic for the most part, it deploys instantly.

I must say, while I do agree that airborne use should be it's main purpose, deploying the parachute is aids on a stick. I'd love for this to get changed and it would make my life a lot easier.