Sign in to follow this  
medz

Discord Server for the community

A discord server for the community would be more accessible for more things and just to speak in general with the community, personally I've used it for a very long time and I've adapted to it, it's easier to speak to other people as well. Here is an example of the format I'm speaking of, just a suggestion I thought of last night. 

EDIT: An official one by the staff obviously.

46b96a79877ece6955989aa517cd543a.png

Edited by medz

There’s an unofficial discord for the server that is being run by players of the community but no official one.

I feel we need an official discord for the community. Apparently (not 100% sure) there was one for the StarWarsRP server that official, so why can't we get one? I feel the unofficial discord's management is all over the place and isn't really that good (I am the second highest role on there and I practically have done nothing). If Badger/Feral were to make an official discord or allow staff to make an official discord it would be nice. I wouldn't mind helping out and keeping it running if they do decide to make one. 

Note: I am not saying we should replace teamspeak with discord, just think a text-based communication system for players (such as discord) would be nice.

24 minutes ago, Echo said:

I feel we need an official discord for the community. Apparently (not 100% sure) there was one for the StarWarsRP server that official, so why can't we get one? I feel the unofficial discord's management is all over the place and isn't really that good (I am the second highest role on there and I practically have done nothing). If Badger/Feral were to make an official discord or allow staff to make an official discord it would be nice. I wouldn't mind helping out and keeping it running if they do decide to make one. 

Note: I am not saying we should replace teamspeak with discord, just think a text-based communication system for players (such as discord) would be nice.

Exactly this, I feel it's more organised and easier to reach people on the platform rather than having to wait for them to join Teamspeak.

1 minute ago, Razi ♛ said:

how hard is it to download teamspeak

Teamspeak is great for voice, but it doesnt offer a text based communication system. I can see why they want a discord server and I want one too, but teamspeak will always be my go-to for voice.

Discord Vs Teamspeak Pros and Cons

Discord

Advantages

• 100% Free
  • Easy to manage
  • Easy to set up
  • Bot Extensions
  • An easy rank system set up
  • APIs good for MC servers rank syncing
  • Nice audio quality
  • Beautiful GUI

Disadvantages

• No root access
  • Fewer Extensions
  • Often audio quality fails

Teamspeak

Advantages

• Easy to customize
  • Perfect Audio Quality
  • Almost no connection issues
  • Permissions Management is great

Disadvantages

• Ugly GUI
  • It can be a pain to set up
  • You have to own a dedicated server or a VPN or a TS host to host your server and guess what that costs money

Information cited from https://hypixel.net/threads/discord-vs-teamspeak-pros-and-cons.1150123/

• Winner 2

Teamspeak looks more professional and the forums are here for chatting sharing and applying, discord doesnt look so professional unless its for just private staff use really.

• Agree 1

On 7/25/2018 at 12:39 PM, Brad said:

Discord Vs Teamspeak Pros and Cons

Discord

Advantages

• 100% Free
  • Easy to manage
  • Easy to set up
  • Bot Extensions
  • An easy rank system set up
  • APIs good for MC servers rank syncing
  • Nice audio quality
  • Beautiful GUI

Disadvantages

• No root access
  • Fewer Extensions
  • Often audio quality fails

Teamspeak

Advantages

• Easy to customize
  • Perfect Audio Quality
  • Almost no connection issues
  • Permissions Management is great

Disadvantages

• Ugly GUI
  • It can be a pain to set up
  • You have to own a dedicated server or a VPN or a TS host to host your server and guess what that costs money

Information cited from https://hypixel.net/threads/discord-vs-teamspeak-pros-and-cons.1150123/

You do not have to pay to make a Teamspeak server

This is going back and forth, the whole point of having a discord server is because it's quicker to catch people via text, it's an app. As much as the forums are good for that as well the forums are for many other things, not just to make contact with people. We have a voice platform which is Teamspeak as well, that doesn't mean we can't have an official discord server where you can easily find someone to speak to if they're not online, I was just like you guys when I first started using discord, I prefer it more than Teamspeak now because it's better in many ways, communicating with people is better, you can type to people even when they're offline, unlike Teamspeak if the person is off you can't reach them.

See we do have a unoffical discord server like Halstead said, it keeps track of peoples regi, lvl, and prestige, its awesome, we just need badger/feral to make it offical.

- I left the discord cause echo did some shit which could of been done at my original rank so I left.

Echo only did it as an experiment, and it proved to him you couldn’t handle it...

We dont need a discord. Use the teamspeak. We have a forums for the exact reason to share shit and organise regiments. If you can't organise a regiment without a big community discord then maybe you're unfit to have a regi (not you medz just people in general). Channels are in place to organise regiments inside of teamspeak. Use a spreadsheet or something. Discord isn't good for large communities. 85 players on average (probably higher) wont fit on a discord.

On 7/25/2018 at 10:39 AM, Brad said:

<snip>

Teamspeak legit costs next to nothing to run. Compared to discord the audio quality is stupid good. The GUI can be changed on your own if you really dont like it, get cool themes and stuff. Bot extensions are also on teamspeak teamspeak just doesn't need them because it can do most of the stuff on it's own. Ranking systems are about the same + It's easier as an admin to deal with specific problems with people on teamspeak (personal opinion on that one)

I mean, we can always test run an official discord. If it completely flops and doesn't work, it was a waste of time and we know that it isn't a good idea. If it is successful, then well we have another form of communication that players can use. I absolutely hate the abysmal voice chat system discord has, teamspeak is much better, but I would like a way to talk to people when I'm bored, and the forums aren't that useful when you just want to have a conversation. 

Don't know if the StarWars discord was a thing, but if that was successful, maybe we can get one for MilRP to work too.

On 7/26/2018 at 2:16 PM, Razi ♛ said:

You do not have to pay to make a Teamspeak server

you do, but it comes with buying some servers.

Official Colossal Gaming Discord under construction.

Resolved and Moved