Coming soon! Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
suðrœn_Ásatrú

Grammar! and other text related issues.

It has become apparent to me that many people are struggling to form proper sentences.  This is mostly due to simple grammar errors that could be easily avoided.  I highly recommend a software such as Grammarly to anyone posting in the forums.  It is free, without ads, and will improve even postgraduate students ability to write on the forums.   I will also note that the inclusion of any font size below 12 is really redundant.  Due to people accessing the forums from different devices I would recommend most people use 16-18 size font.  Over-use of Colour in a staff app also makes me want to permanently -1 even a good app.  Staff apps should be formally structured and presented.  So please, stop using comic sans and other weird fonts.
Bit of a rant I know but I feel bad for giving out all these -1's just for font, colour, and grammar.
ps. sorry if I'm not allowed to mention another product.  I don't mean to advertise Grammarly but it's what I use.

think i,ve got it

In all seriousness though, I don't think someone's grammar is really any indication of their potential skill  as a staff member. I'm very much capable of writing like a nerd formally, but all of my TS chats and most of my forum posts look more like this.

I agree that stupid colours and fonts suck though. Write normally, use bold or italics sparingly for emphasis or headings.

• Agree 1

Posted (edited)

Yeah, I agree that it doesn't reflect their potential as staff.  However, I think people would get better reactions to their applications if they kept the layout formal and well structured. 

Edited by suðrœn_Ásatrú

Also, while I'm at it

2 hours ago, suðrœn_Ásatrú said:

It has become apparent to me that many people are struggling to form proper sentences.  This is mostly due to simple grammar errors that could be could have been (is used in context of desirability rather than probability) easily avoided   I highly recommend a software an application / program (software is uncountable) such as Grammarly to anyone posting in the forums (I'd argue that "on the forums" is much more eloquent).  It is free, without ads has no ads, and will improve even postgraduate students' ability to write grammar on the forums.   I will also note that the inclusion of any font size below size 12 is really (The word "really" tends to be really redundant) redundant.  Due to Because people access the forums from different devices I would recommend that most people use 16-18 size font.  Over-use of Colour in a staff app always(?) makes me want to permanently -1 an app, even a good one even a good app.  Staff apps should be structured and presented (adverb placement is weird) formally structured and presented.  So please, stop using comic sans and other weird fonts.
Bit of a rant, I know but I feel bad for giving out all these -1's just for because of font, colour, and grammar.
ps. sSorry if I'm not allowed to mention another product.  I don't mean to advertise Grammarly, but it's what I use.

I'm sorry

• Winner 2

Hey guyssssa colokwwweal gam3r here just inf0rming you of an epic montage parody that im doing called franky is dumbo! yah dig?

2 hours ago, Tander said:

Hey guyssssa colokwwweal gam3r here just inf0rming you of an epic montage parody that im doing called franky is dumbo! yah dig?

just like i digged into your mum last night 😎 owned epic style

i personally gave up on using grammar because of people like you, no offence

grammar doesnt affect things that much on the internet

in a staff app, i agree, but on things like a forum post i generally dont care

also grammarly is terrible, as it being a programme, can not always detect slang or other words and ive had several people hell bent on believing that grammerly will fix all their problems, that they are stubborn enough to say that a sentence making no sense is ok because "grammerly said this is how it should be"

edit: i purposely made the text gradually get bigger for the meme

• Agree 1
  • Dumb 2

1 hour ago, Clarence said:

just like i digged into your mum last night 😎 owned epic style

dont u darn heck dig in my mum kid 😎pwned rekt cool fortnite yeet fab whip nae nae 😎😎 Gucci gang 😢😢😎😎🤓🤓

• Sad 1
  • Dumb 1

lol, good demonstration there Frankie.  You have a clear understanding of English far better than my own.  I'm just a social science student in my last semester of a history Major so I rely on reading sentences aloud and using Grammarly :P.  All jokes aside, I still think it is important that future apps be made with far more time and effort.  

I agree suðrœn_Ásatrú applications should either be using the font Courier New or Verdana as they are probably the best fonts to read by far.

• Agree 1

Posted (edited)

As Brad & a few others have mentioned, applications look very unprofessional if done like some are at the moment.  Most of them have fonts/colour formatting that makes me feel like I’m on LSD, this isn’t any good as it makes staff applicants look like they are doing this as a joke.  

Where has the seriousness gone? There’s no-one who’s put proper, thorough, deatail in their applications.  My Event Master application had a bit more detail than half the applications I’ve seen (now I know this looks like an ego boost but in all honesty I haven’t seen very many applications that have much deatail at all, expect Tiki’s.), that was made when I was dead tired and I highly doubt all of those who are going for a staff position are “the walking dead”.

As a end sentence I’d just like to say, “T.E.E.L.”.

Edited by Funky Hendrix

2 hours ago, Funky Hendrix said:

Remember +\-1 doesn’t mean jack shit

They do. We can't just accept staff without taking into consideration the community's responses. If we accepted someone the community hated, even though it was clearly displayed on their app that people didn't like them, they would have a difficult time moderating the server.